Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Google Doc's at web application harbor.

Today I tried my Google Doc, formerly Writley, and I liked it. (I have been using Google spreadsheets for a while now.) Not much
different from my Open Office write. I also noticed that I could email a
document to my account at writley.com! I could also upload using browser
based interface. The document types that you could upload are;
*Documents*

* HTML files and plain text (.txt).
* Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text (.rtf), OpenDocument Text (.odt)
and StarOffice (.sxw).

*Spreadsheets*

* Comma Separated Value (.csv).
* Microsoft Excel (.xls) files and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods).

I emailed my self this document to my docs account and it appeared there in seconds and the rest will be done on writely, oops google doc. All the amenities for documenting is available to me, if I knew how to. I can embed links and images as I would do at the blogger editor too.
Best thing is spelling check! I do need it and sometimes I get confused in the blogger editor. But I had to add GOOGLE, google to my dictionary!
Well that covers almost a half of many office suites. I think a casual user can do entirely without any office suite on his / her computer if he /she has a n Internet connection. You can write, calculate, save and share your documents.
I tried uploading some docs and spread sheets from the open office suite and it worked. I also saved documents as M$ file formats within the open office and they also worked. I will try from office , tomorrow, a real M$ office 2003 documents to see how they behave. (I still have to learn to format!!)
Later I noticed on google blog, this snippet;
Get a taste of the Google Docs & Spreadsheets combo with our mini tour. Really, though, the best way to get a flavor is to sample it for yourself. Anyone can use it -- after you log in just click on the links for New Document, New Spreadsheet, or Upload(lets you upload your desktop files) to get going. Help yourself and let us know (via this new D&S Google Group) what you think.
There is also a blog dedicated to Google docs and you can read the first article here.
Only thing you need is a google account.


No comments: